I bet you thought French toast couldn’t get any better! Time to pay up, because you definitely lost that bet— no worries though, we’ll write this one off…Forget what you knew about this breakfast item because it’s about to get a Blue Heaven coffee and chocolate upgrade like you’d never believe. A special thanks to Karina of Café Delites for the delectable recipe!
Weight Watchers: 12pp per serve (2 sandwich halves)
Calories: 472 kcal
Author: Karina – Cafe Delites
- 8 thick slices of bread, halved
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup low fat/skim milk (or almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons Blue Heaven instant coffee (dry powder)
- 2 tablespoons sugar or natural sweetener of choice
- 45 g | 1 1/2oz (about 1/3 cup) milk or dark chocolate (chips, melts or squares)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) light thickened/whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon icing/confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Blue Heaven instant coffee (dry powder)
- Chocolate Dusting Powder
- Whisk together the coffee, sugar and milk in a jug. Add the eggs and whisk again until well combined. Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch shallow dish. Add 8 bread halves into the egg wash; divide the chocolate amongst the bread pieces and top each piece with remaining bread to make 8 sandwich halves. Leave to soak for 5 minutes on one side, then flip and soak for a further 5 minutes.
- Preheat a large non-stick pan, skillet or griddle with a light coating of butter. When hot, cook the french toast in batches until browned on both sides, cooked through and chocolate has melted in the centre.
- Meanwhile, make your coffee cream:
- Combine the cream, coffee and sugar in a medium-sized bowl; beat on medium-high speed until cream begins to thicken. (Continue beating to make a whipped cream, or leave as a thinner cream to suit your tastes).
- To serve, drizzle french toasts with coffee cream; top with a scoop of ice cream (optional), and sprinkle with chocolate dusting powder.
Photo courtesy of: cafedelites.com